Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fear

If you ever want to look for something that every member of the human race has in common, you'll find the common bond is that we all fear. The object of the fear may change, and often is as diverse and seemingly random as anyone can imagine. Triskaidekaphobia? Really? Anyway, here is a small sampling of my fears. Might provide insight into who I am as a person; might be interesting; might bore you to tears.

1. I fear being alone. Not loneliness that we all experience when we get bored or don't have anything to do on a Friday night. The thing I fear is losing the people I love to the point that I no longer have anyone I can hold onto, count on and spend time with. I am afraid of losing the people I love. I think this is a basic part of who I am as a person, but after having experienced losing people I loved in the past, I know that it is something I never want to experience again.

2. I fear heights. Not small heights, but rather being way up there. I will never skydive or bungee jump, for example. Ever. And don't try to convince me.

3. I fear the unknown. Uncertainty drives me.

4. I am afraid to fail. Society has raised me to believe that if I do not achieve a certain measure of success, then I am a failure. While I no longer hold to society's measure of success, I still have my own criteria. What I fear is looking back twenty years from now and wondering what I did with my life, what my purpose was.

And so on...

No comments:

Post a Comment